Checkstr's Ramblings

Not only am I proud to be Canadian...I'm proud to be a Leaf's fan! GO LEAFS GO!!!

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Sports and Entertainment Complex?

Kinda baffles the mind doesn't it? No NHL, and no agreement in sight...However, Maple Leaf Sports and Ent. has decided to go ahead with a $350 million complex that will feature a 5 star restaurant...2 top notch condominiums and merchandising outlets for the Leafs, Raptors and Marlies.

But here's the thing...We have a homeless problem in the city...Transit woes...And other issues within the city that $350 million would certainly help alleviate. But instead, let's build a complex! Let's bring in tourism to see our homeless and ride on transit buses spewing black smoke. Sure, this is private money...Let those who have the cash decide what's best for the city. Maybe this complex will help with our somewhat ailing economy (this is what they're banking on, pardon the pun)...Or maybe, if we're really lucky, it'll turn into an eyesore that everyone laughs at (read: The Skydome...Ooops, I mean the Rogers Centre). Sure, people will occupy the ritzy condo's...But do you honestly think this complex will be built for the average Joe Worker? 5 Star restaurant...Condo's beside the ACC...I don't think so!!! I'm not 100% dead against this idea, I just feel that this kind of money could be best spent on other more important issues.

Oh well, I guess after taking in a Marlies game...I'll be heading back to my neighbourhood and hitting a local pub for reasonably priced drinks and food!

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home